Soquel Junior Academy was first started in 1920. A cabin on 7th Avenue served as the first school building. The school was then moved to Rodriguez Street, this eventually became Discoveryland Preschool. An enlarged building accommodated teachers.
In 1939, a small gym was built, this later became the school workshop. Finally in September of 1961, the present School building was occupied. A generous gift by Lola and George Hauselt, and extensive fund-raising, made this a reality.
The school was then renamed in honor of Virgil Hauselt. the Duffield's donated a staff home. A gymnasium and two classrooms followed. A grant from the Sundean Foundation allowed for increased property and staff homes.